AAR Annual Meeting
November 18-21, 2017
To return to the Welcome Page, please click here.
For questions or support, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To return to the AAR website, click here.
This Unit seeks to:
• Provide a venue for new studies on Buddhism in non-Asian locales
• Facilitate communication and exchange between scholars working on Buddhism outside of Asia
• Offer a forum within which to collectively clarify the intellectual and methodological underpinnings of research on Buddhism in the West, and consider new possibilities in methods and approaches
This unit invites papers or session proposals on the following (but is open to other possibilities):
• Race, ethnicity, gender, cultural identity, and/or privilege in western Buddhist discourse
• Teaching Buddhism in the West: pedagogy, field site visits, thematic choices
• Buddhist meditation retreats, retreat centers, and/or programs
• Asian-American Buddhisms
• Buddhism and politics in the West
• Buddhist youth, generational shifts
• Buddhism and transnationalism
• Buddhism and secularism
• For a possible co-sponsored session with Bioethics and Religion, papers concerning bioethics theory or practical issues involving Buddhism in the West